Board Primer: Expanding excellence
Board members of arts organizations are invited to attend BCA’s Board Primer. This three-hour interactive workshop is an opportunity to get up-to-speed on responsibilities of being a board member and to discuss with colleagues issues of board leadership that can be valuable in your work ahead. Every nonprofit board is somewhat different, with responsibilities and roles reflecting an organization’s stage of growth/life cycle, resources, mission, and priorities. However, all boards require members to take a strategic role in helping shape success.
2013 Board Primer
The Board Primer creates a context for board members to examine basic concepts of nonprofit board activities, and to use one another’s experiences and wisdom – and challenges – to help build tools for exemplary board member performance. Topics include:
- The basic responsibilities & expectations of nonprofit board members
- Board and Executive Staff responsibilities
- Financial basics
- Fundraising basics (fundraising strategies, responsibilities of a typical nonprofit board)
- Committee do’s and don’ts
- Emerging issues in nonprofit boards, and how to address them
- Helpful resources for board members
This workshop is valuable for new and experienced board members. Consider it a refresher or an introduction – above all it will be fun!
Each Board Primer will be led and facilitated by BCA’s Executive Director, Deborah Edward.
The Board Primer complements BCA’s popular Art of Leadership program, a comprehensive, six-part workshop series that prepares business people for service on arts organizations’ boards of directors.
Board Primer Registration Process
Attend a Board Primer in 2013! Date options are:
- Thursday, April 18 from 7:30-10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, September 10 from 7:30-10:30 a.m.
Workshops are held at Hotel Monaco in downtown Portland and include a hearty breakfast.
Cost: $50 for members of BCA and $65 for non-members.
Not sure if your company is a member? View our membership list.
Thank you to our sponsors: