BCA Associates is a program for young professionals to participate in a 8-month introduction to Greater Portland’s arts and culture scene while making friends and meeting new people. Associates attend arts and cultural events together, explore skills in the arts and civic engagement, and enjoy a friendly competition among colleagues that results in new opportunities for community leadership in the arts. This is an opportunity to experience the arts and find your passions and pathways!
What it’s about:
- Attend arts and culture events
- Learn skills of civic engagement
- Explore your creative side
- Visit Portland’s known and hidden arts venues and backrooms
- Meet the people who make the art
- Go behind the scenes to see how art is produced
- Create a team project that advances an arts and culture group or genre
- Special prizes for teams and individuals with the most points at the end of the year!
What you get:
- Get more connected to area arts and culture
- Get discount tickets and special invitations to events in the arts
- Flex your muscles for civic engagement and creative expression
- Build a network of people from a variety of backgrounds
- Get on a path to help shape tomorrow
- Become an arts enthusiast, patron, philanthropist, activist and/or arts leader
Who it’s for:
- Young professionals employed in Greater Portland
- Ability to and interest in participating for 5-9 hours/month for activities and events
- 21 years of age and older
How to be a candidate:
- Applications are currently closed for the 2013-2014 program. Check back next September!
Cost: $65 for year.* This includes a $30 contribution to Work for Art, a workplace giving program for arts and culture. Work for Art will provide you with a 6-month “Arts Card,” which offers you a pair of 2-for-1 tickets to hundreds of arts events, subject to availability.
*$65 fee can be paid over time. Some partial program scholarships available.
Co Chairs: Matt Edlen, Gerding Edlen and Graeme Byrd, Cascade Web Development
Adriana Baer, Profile Theatre - Emily Havens, Social Venture Partners Portland - Kristen Connor, Capital Pacific Bank - Nathan Kadish, Ecotrust NW - Oscar Arana, Native American Youth & Family Center - Walter Robinson, Metropolitan Group
Co Chairs: S. Renee Mitchell, Artist and Stephen Marc Beaudoin, PHAME Academy
Alexis Ingram, Artists Repertory Theatre - Daniel Peabody, Elizabeth Leach Gallery - Intisar Abioto, Photographer - Jedediah Chavez, Ethos - Natcharee Ayanaputra, Portland Patrons for the Arts - Paul Stavish, Portland Center Stage - Tonisha Toler, Regional Arts and Culture Council
Co Chairs: Bob Speltz, The Standard and Serena Cruz Walsh, Albina Construction
Carmen Rubio, LatinoNet - Jason Lim, Asian Reporter - Jesse Beason, NW Health Foundation - Kendall Clawson, Governor’s Office - Martha Richards, Miller Foundation - Mike Alexander, Urban League - Sam Adams, City Club
Executive Director: Deborah Edward
Simone Coker Kamna, Project Coordinator - Keith Daly, Marketing - Delali Ayivor, Intern
Thanks to our members whose continued support makes programs like BCA Associates possible. Grateful thanks to the Oregon Community Foundation and the BCA Impact Fund for initial support.
Special thanks to Portland Emerging Arts Leaders for providing knowledgeable guides to connect Associates teams to resources and programs of interest. We’d also like to thank Work for Art for being a program partner.